Monday, December 5, 2011

Jeep On Car Hauler Trailer

I made the ramps from two 5' lengths of 2x12 lumber reinforced with 2x8 lumber and used two aluminum ramp ends that are designed for pickup truck tailgates. Blue Goose weighs one ton and the aluminum pieces are rated at 700# each! Oh, oh!

I attached the trailer to Snowflk and then for the very first time put BG into 4-wheel drive and low. It was interesting; if I took my foot off the gas BG would stop, didn't need brakes. I crept up the ramp and got BG on the trailer. Neither the ramps nor the aluminum attacments broke. Yeah! After figuring out where to position BG I used the axle straps and tie-downs to secure BG front and rear.

Even though the tie-down straps are only 7' long (shortest I could find at JEGS) they are still way too long. So I plan to not use the axle straps and see how that works. In the end I will probably have to shorten the tie-down straps and reheat the cut end to eliminate fraying.

I took BG and the trailer and weighed them. Big disappointment! The combined weight was 3,625#, a little too heavy. The tongue weight was 374# which is perfect (10% of total weight). The spare tire weighs 50#, the ramps each weigh 30# so if worse comes to worse I can throw those in the back of Snowflk. The trailer tires are supposed to be inflated to 44# but were only 22# so that is my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment