Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Windshield Wiper

I took the Blue Goose out of the garage today because a friend was going to bring his visiting grandson over to get a ride. He did. We did.

Afterward while she was out in the sun I thought I would check the windshield wiper. Sure enough no vacuum was coming out of the rubber hose that fed from the engine to the metal tubing that runs up the side of the windshield. I took the fitting off of the intake manifold and checked it. It was fine. I checked the rubber hose. It was plugged. You know what it was plugged with: a ball bearing. I put everything back together and still no vacuum at the wiper motor. Then I thought the metal tube was plugged. I reamed it out with machine wire: vacuum at the end of the metal tube but not at wiper motor. I checked the rubber hose between the metal tubing and the wiper motor. You know what? It had a ball bearing in it too. Go figure! Everything worked. Well, not quite. A loud hiss emanated from the on/off switch when it was on and the wiper didn't move. If I moved it manually one way, it moved back under vacuum. The wiper motor needs rebuilding. A rebuilt one cost $125 with the core sent in before hand. I think I will do a little snooping before buying a rebuilt one.

1 comment: