Thursday, October 20, 2011

Jeep Hauler Trailer

About a month ago I bought a car-hauler trailer for Blue Goose. I bought it from a local trailer dealership that had this used trailer on his lot on consignment. I is just right for what I want. It has a single axle with electric brakes. It is classified as "home-built" from California. I had my friend remove his 1937 Packard from the garage which he was storing there and replaced it with the trailer. The title says it weighs 1540 lbs. With BG weighing 2100 lbs. fully loaded that puts the total weight over 3500 lbs. I removed the 2x4 stake sides and the plywood center floor. The wood weighed 225 lbs. The spare tire was loose so I mounted it as you see in the accompanying picture.

Then I checked the wheel bearings. They were OK and I repacked them. However, the left wheel was extremely difficult to remove. The lug nuts had spalled. Little chunks of metal had come off of the nuts and around the holes in the wheel. Instead of trying to make the ova-holed wheel the spare, I decided to buy a new wheel.

So this morning I washed the trailer and hooked it up to the car. And later we will drive it to a scales and see what the new weight is. It is 1315 lbs. exactly 225 less than the title weight. Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment