Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I Really, Really Like Flat Fenders

Flat Fender is the name given Jeeps that were made up until 1953, I think. After that the front of the fender was rolled down and stuff like running lights or directional signals were installed in the rolled down part.

One of the first things I did after buying Blue Goose (BG) was to have the steering fixed. The worm gear in the steering column box was very worn. So I took it to a mechanic to fix.While waiting for parts I dropped by the shop and discovered that the mechanic had removed the left front fender to have easier access to the steering gear box. I thought that was cool, it didn't take much to remove the fender.

Recently I have been working on some electrical parts which are also located near the left front fender. In the end I too had to remove the left front fender. I discovered that three of the bolts were missing, two on the frame and one on the tub (body). The mechanic had not put the fender on properly, probably because it took a long time to line everything up. Three bolts are used to attach the fender to the grill, five to attach it to the frame, and four to attach it to the tub. I needed to use a die to chase the threads on the frame. I got new bolts to replace the missing ones and also to replace several that were too worn to use anymore. As I write this I think I will replace one more worn bolt and chase one more thread in the frame. Then everything will be hunky-dory.

Oh yes, and when I straightened the bent part stuff flaked off and I discovered the real Normandy blue color BG was originally painted. It is much darker than the blue it has now. I always suspected that but was never able to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment