Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dimmer Switch - How Could Something So Easy Turn Out To Be So Difficult

When I bought BG, although I didn't know it at the time, the dimmer switch that controls the high/low headlight beams didn't work. One set of beams did work, the other was nothing. So I bought a replacement dimmer switch. It came with three small (and I mean really small) bolts that connect the wires to the terminals. In the process of putting the wires on the switch I dropped a bolt into the bowels of the engine compartment. One hour later I found it. Two hours later I recovered it. In the process of putting the wires on the switch I dropped a bolt again into the bowels of the engine compartment. One hour later I hadn't found it. Two hours later I hadn't found it. By that time I had removed the left front fender assembly. I finally came to the conclusion that it had dropped in a little hole on top of the steering column tube down near where the steering column enters the steering gear box.

To slide the steering column tube up I had to remove the steering wheel. Whee, what a chore! After a couple of false steps I rented a axle puller from our local rental store. It took two hours and several abortive attempts to get it off. When I finally got the steering column tube slid up the bolt did indeed fall out on the floor. Up until that point I had only circumstantial evidence that the bolt was there. I have the steering column tube back in place but haven't put the steering wheel back on. The new dimmer switch is now in place and operational. I have high and low beam and the Tell-Tale lamp on the dashboard that indicates when the high beams are on now also works. It needed a new lamp and to be wired properly to the dimmer switch.

I still have more electrical work to do. It has to wait until the parts arrive. They include installing a new terminal block, a new dashboard toggle switch which turns on the dashboard light and installing the new dashboard light with its clam shell hood.

No comments:

Post a Comment